The Var Dohr Cocooning Ritual, or "Valissa", is a special and sacred ritual used exclusively by the Vampires of the Nordic Coven in order to reach what they call the "Sacred World"; a parallel plane of higher consciousness where they achieve inner clarity and a greater perception of things that even transcends death itself. The exact nature and origins of this ritual are currently unknown. Vampires that undergo this ritual are able to gain some more unusual abilities not seen in other members of their species and increase their already existing ones to higher levels, as well as gain new insight on the world around them. It's also unknown if a Vampire can simply volunteer or if he/she must be chosen to undergo such ritual.
The Ritual Process Edit
According to Lena, a Vampire must first take a poison, to be cocooned and sumerged in water. The ritual is called "Valissa", the "in-between place", that allows them to visit the "Sacred World". However, it should be noted that Selene seemingly went through the process without consuming such poison, as she was near-death at the time from wounds sustained in combat and had willingly submerged herself in freezing water. It is therefore possible that any Vampire close to death can access Valissa, with poison being a more efficient and less violent method.
Granted Abilities Edit
- Enhanced Superhuman Speed: Both Selene and Lena, display the ability of moving at supernatural speeds, being faster than Lycan or Vampire eyes can see, appearing as a distorted blur of motion fast enough for it to seem like a teleportation ability. It is also worth noting that Marius and David, both Corvinus-Strain Hybrids were unable to track Selene's movements. Prior to undergoing the ritual herself, Selene, a Vampire Hybrid much older and likely stronger than her progeny David, appeared to be unable to keep track of Lena when she used her enhanced speed. Since this ability is not used constantly and not by many members of the Nordic Coven, is possible that it requires some sort of concentration and/or willpower to be used.
- Enhanced Superhuman Strength: After undergoing the ritual, Selene displayed strength much greater than before she underwent the process. An example being that before the ritual, Marius, a Corvinus-Strain Lycan Hybrid was able to overpower her while transformed with relative ease. After undergoing the process, she was able to match Marius in strength and even proved herself to be capable of ripping out his spine with her bare hands while he was transformed. Lena was also able to engage multiple Lycans in combat and even hold one back in his Werewolf form with only one arm.
- Soul Reading: Lena displayed the ability to 'read' or see through another's soul. Vidar and Selene have yet to display this ability despite had been through the same process. Whether this ability is exclusive to Lena is still unknown. Lena mentions that she has gone through the process more than once; therefore, the ability of 'reading' another's soul may be a more advanced ability granted only to those Vampires who have been cocooned multiple times.
- An apparent side-effect of the ritual is that it causes a Vampire's hair to turn silvery white. Many members of the Nordic Coven, including Lena - who states she has gone through the ritual multiple times - have pure white hair or blonde hair, and Selene also gains streaks of white in her hair after going through the ritual.
- Vampires have their speed, strength and endurance enhanced after going through the Ritual, however, it's unknown if the Vampire's five senses and healing factor are enhanced in any way.
- Lena states that she's been through the Ritual many times and this could indicate that she only gained full control of her abilities after performing the cocooning process multiple times. In Selene's case, however, it could had been thanks to her already enhanced physiology as a Corvinus strain-Hybrid.
- It's unknown if Lycans, Immortals or Vampire/Lycan Hybrids can endure and/or have their abilities enhanced by going through the Ritual.
- The Sacred ritual is similar with the hibernation process that the Vampire Elders once used.
- Water is considered a purifier in most religions. Some faiths use water especially prepared for religious purposes (holy water). Many religions also consider particular sources or bodies of water to be sacred or at least auspicious.
|Selene - David - Marius - Thomas - Semira - Lena|
|Varga - Cassius - Michael Corvin - Vidar - Hajna - Istvan - Alexia - Gregor - Eve - Amelia|
|Vampire - Lycan - Hybrid - Immortal - Human|
|Weaponry of Underworld: Blood Wars - Swords - Beretta 92FS - Scorpion EVO 3 - Nightshade|
|Nordic Coven - Eastern Coven|
|Var Dohr Cocooning Ritual - Corvinus Strain - Death Dealer - Vampire Elder - Vampire-Lycan War - Marius's Army|
|Music - Comic - Quotes - Images - Score|